Suggested for K/1: Titles by authors Mo Willems and Arnold Lobel + free reads
Suggested for 2/3: Titles by authors Jon Scieszka, Marjorie Sharmat, Peggy Parish and Mike Thaler + free reads
Required for 4: Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, Keeping Score by Linda Sue Park + four free reads
Required for 5: Star Girl by Jerry Spinelli, Hatchet by Gary Paulsen + four free reads
Required for 6: Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool, Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan, The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo + three free reads
Required for 7: White Fang by Jack London, Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko, Liar and Spy by Rebecca Stead + three free reads
Required for 8: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie, I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak, The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Farm by George Orwell + two free reads
Required for 9: Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd, Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver, The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline + two free reads
Instructions for 4/5 MAG Reading
- For each of the books read, students will need a 6x6 index card.
- On the lined side, write the setting, the main characters, and a brief summary - not a retelling - just what the book is about.
- On the blank side, illustrate and color your favorite scene and describe it in a few sentences.
- The finished cards can be brought to school on the first day.
Instructions for Grades 6-9 Summer Reading
- Students are required to identify the five elements of the story: setting, main characters, plot, tone, and theme. This can be completed in bullet format. If you are unsure, research! Look and solve.
- Identify the narrator. Was this a good choice? Give three specific reasons to support your answer.
- Write a paragraph about a connection you made with the book. It could be a character, the setting, a thematic message, etc.
- The finished pages will be collected the first day of school. Each should be approximately one page in length.
Happy Summer Reading!