Founded in 1930, Mooreland Hill School is an intentionally small, yet diverse and vibrant learning community that serves elementary and middle school students from central Connecticut. We provide a balanced education, nurturing each student’s intellectual ability and curiosity, and their personal and social growth and civic conscience.
A rigorous curriculum emphasizes the importance of individualized learning, giving each student the skills required to fulfill his or her potential. We believe that educational opportunities extend well beyond the classroom to athletic competitions, artistic pursuits, and school leadership experiences and that it is our responsibility to utilize all these venues to encourage our students to discover their own interests, talents and passions and to become increasingly responsible for and engaged in their own learning. The academic program is traditional and well rounded. Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies are balanced by a complementary curriculum in Music, Art, Drama, and Physical Education. French and Spanish are introduced in the earliest grades. Technology is integrated into the daily learning of all students. In all that we do – in the classrooms, on the playing fields and the concert stage, in the community – we strive to nurture the excellence in each child.
Mooreland Hill faculty members are selected as much for their genuine interest in young people and willingness to get involved in every phase of school life as for their scholarship and teaching ability.
Mooreland Hill School is seeking a Middle School English teacher for the 2017-2018 academic school year.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design English/Language Arts lessons for 6-8 graders
- Assess student work and provide meaningful feedback to students regularly
- Implement instructional strategies and use clear and consistent classroom management in ways that are in concert with the school philosophy
- Fulfill supervisory duties as assigned
- Adhere to guidelines, procedures, and policies in the Employee Handbook
- Help children with organization, problem solving, and conflict resolution to support individual needs
- Communicate professionally and effectively with parents, teachers, administrators and colleagues, this includes both email and phone.
- Serve as a Middle School advisor and complete all activities and assignments related to this role.
- Attend required in-service days, meetings, and training sessions as designated
- A professional desire to work in the classroom and develop or continue to develop your teaching skills in the academic disciplines as well as the on-going work of social/emotional development of children
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in English or related field
- Teaching experience at the Middle School level
- Understanding of child development and fondness for the mercurial nature of middle school students
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching and learning in a dynamic, 21st century school community
- Ability to work in a collegial and highly collaborative environment
- A growth mindset, active sense of humor, warm personality, creative approach, and excellent organizational and communication skills
Salary commensurate with experience.
Please submit a letter of interest that addresses your capacity to fulfill the duties and responsibilities as listed, a resume, a statement of your teaching philosophy and a list of three professional references to:
Mail: Reed Rathgeber, Head of School
166 Lincoln Street
Kensington, CT 06037
Mooreland Hill School is a coeducational independent school. The school does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, or any protected class in the administration of its admissions, access to financial aid, educational programs, hiring practices, or school activities.